· Leads and oversees all aspects of product stewardship initiatives for all regions/countries where ITNA products are produced and used. Coordinates between local sites within ITNA to maintain a high level product stewardship system, while promoting best practices across the business and region.
· Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations, product registrations/notifications, and adherence to industry/internal standards relevant to product stewardship functions.
· Assists Management in developing strategies to ensure continuing efficiency and effectiveness of the Product Stewardship (PS) programs, supporting evaluation of long term business needs to determine new solutions that fit within current regulations and customer requirements, and when threats are posed to current or future business plans, and affects operational changes as needs demand.
· Understands and assesses product safety and regulatory issues. Interacts with all relevant stakeholders within or outside of the Company, providing coaching and guidance as appropriate. Works closely with customers, developing strong relationships and educating customers on safe handling of IMERYS products for their safety and health.
· Manages product stewardship needs associated with the entire supply chain including suppliers and distributors to foster product safety management and information exchange, commensurate with risk.
· Develops and implements regulatory compliance systems, policies, procedures, documents and standards as appropriate.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Handle customer requests regarding product safety and regulatory issues as well as information on IMERYS’s product stewardship program. Assist customers in understanding emerging and existing regulations and their relevance to our products. Interaction with customers may be direct or through sales, marketing, or technical support networks. Develop and maintain good relationship with key customers to enable their product acceptance processes and hazard communication programs. Provide timely response to customers’ regulatory needs, supporting sales and marketing teams to promote existing products, and to introduce new products or develop new customers.
· Develop or support the creation of safety data sheets, product labels, compliance statements, and other product stewardship documents for internal and external uses. Educate customers on safe handling of IMERYS products.
· Proactively communicate to customers/employees/stakeholders regarding safety and compliance of products. Track and monitor regulatory and market changes and communicate implications to stakeholders. Ensure that product communication materials are harmonized where possible for the uniformity of message and alignment with IMERYS business initiatives.
· Monitor emerging regulations or policy trends and their implications on the business. Identify risks and opportunities, and develop strategies to defend and promote IMERYS products and business practices. . Provide leadership and expertise on product and market related regulatory and compliance requirements, product registration, risk assessment, and product testing programs. Obtain and maintain appropriate product registrations and regulatory certifications to ensure compliance with all applicable laws.
· Support new product development by performing risk assessments to identify product stewardship issues that may prevent or delay marketing or manufacturing of new products. Define regulatory constraints, safe handling and storage requirements, proper disposal methods, and shipping classifications for all new products. Approve or recommend rejection of developmental products and new raw materials based on safety, health, and compliance risks. Develop and communicate risk management alternatives that may include retargeting markets, reformulating products, defining process safety controls, and/or terminating product development.
· Advise New Product Development (NPD) teams regarding regulatory/safety obligations and costs/opportunities related to potential products/markets. Offer guidance to R&D and operations in developing test programs and databases on product qualities including mineralogy and trace elements for regulatory compliance and meeting customer needs. Support the marketing and R&D teams on product development and marketing strategies including product safety, regulatory compliance, product stewardship and environmental management.
· Develop and maintain information on safety, health and environmental hazards for new and existing products. Assess product risks based on information collected on hazards, intended uses, and exposures associated with the stages of a product’s lifecycle. Perform product life-cycle risk assessments and other sustainability initiatives, where necessary
· Represent the business, and where necessary take a strong leadership position, on product forums, associations, consortiums and regulatory bodies to defend IMERYS products and services, and ensure inappropriate regulations do not prejudice our products. Report regulatory developments to the business leaders. Work with 3rd party organizations and allies to influence regulatory/standard-making-body policies. Build a network of internal/external experts to fend off potential regulatory threats.
· Manage the response to investigation of 3rd party customer complaints related to product safety concerns or regulatory standards violations. Respond to allegations of safety, regulatory, or market limit violations involving our products. Direct recalls or withdrawals of products from the marketplace.
· Support the Mine to Market Mineral Management (M4) programs ensuring internal and external compliances, and making improvements as necessary to enhance their effectiveness.
· Align the industrial hygiene and M4 programs with corporate HSEQ goals. Support and monitor employee health and safety and industrial hygiene studies related to products and recommend appropriate responses to significant findings.
· Works closely with the legal team to ensure compliance of applicable laws and provide litigation support.
· Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience requirements:
· A college degree in chemistry, bio-chemistry, biology, material science, chemical or environmental engineering, or related technical field. A waiver to a technical degree can be considered for candidates with more than 10 years of relevant process, quality, EHS, sales, marketing or technical support experience.
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in R&D, sales or technical service, quality, EHS, process engineering, regulatory compliance or manufacturing of chemical/mineral based products.
· Experience with and knowledge of regulations governing the use of chemicals and minerals in various end-uses and geographies. In-depth knowledge of GHS, hazard communication standards, as well as knowledge of REACH and cosmetics, food, feed, pharma regulations is desired. A good grasp of global regulations as they apply to food, non-food/non-pharma and non-pesticide products is a plus.
· Experience in acquiring regulatory knowledge and developing competency with respect to global regulations governing chemical management, chemical hazard communication, chemical use, dangerous goods transportation, and banned or restricted substances.
· Excellent communication skills including networking and facilitation skills, ability to work well in a team environment, interact with a wide array of stakeholders, and establish effective relationships with individuals and in teams.
· Willing and flexible to travel domestically and internationally.
· Fluent in writing and speaking in English language.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics:
Knowledge of Division’s products including their characterization, raw materials, production processes, quality management systems, markets, and end-uses is a plus.
· Strong organization skills. Able to manage multiple and competing priorities and prioritize activities to product stewardship improvements. Project management skills desirable.
Ability to influence without direct reports.
· Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with SPC programs and Microsoft SharePoint desirable.
· Excellent team leadership and membership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead by influence. Ability to work well with others and to interact at all levels of the business.
Able to interpret, summarize and communicate complex information to achieve results.
The world leader in mineral-based specialty solutions for industry, with over 16,000 employees and over 200 sites worldwide, Imerys delivers high value-added, functional solutions to diversified set of industrial sectors, from processing industries to consumer goods. The Group draws on its knowledge of applications, technological expertise and its material science know-how to deliver solutions based on beneficiation of its mineral resources, synthetic minerals and formulations. These contribute essential properties to customers’ products and performance, including refractoriness, hardness, conductivity, opacity, durability, purity, lightness, filtration, absorption and repellency. Imerys is determined to develop responsibly, in particular by fostering the emergence of environmentally-friendly products and processes.
If you want to grow your skills and develop your career, find out more at www.imerys.com